Pages

Monday 8 June 2015

baja(ish) fish tacos

As I'm stuck at home, waiting for this rash to sort itself, I've slept a tonne, read a few books and enjoyed having time to cook dinner for myself and Jon.

Fiddling with this recipe has been on my to-do list for months, ever since Jon and I had dinner at Wahaca in March and I had these delicious fish tacos:

Crispy fish, crunchy, citrusy slaw and creamy crema- it was absolutely delicious despite my nerves about the impending job interview I was facing the next day.

Life's been pretty hectic since, but to celebrate being well enough to return to work tomorrow, I decided to finally have a crack at making my own version- which actually turned out far better than I was expecting!

So, without further ado- here's my recipe for homemade fish tacos: (serves 2-3)



Ingredients:
2 large fillets of white fish. (I used Basa- it's sustainably caught and very reasonable if you buy it frozen)
1 egg
2 tbsp plain flour
1 avocado
1/4 white cabbage
1 red onion
2 tbsp garlic mayo (I used homemade olive oil mayo, mixed with 1/2 clove of crushed garlic)
3 tbsp sour cream
a big bunch of coriander
1 lime
1tsp cayenne pepper
1 sachet discovery crispy coating (or polenta- I just find this quick and easy!)
1 large tortilla per person (I like multigrain to up the fibre).
2tbsp sunflower oil

Method:
The cooking part of this is incredibly quick- so I prepped all the trimmings first then cooked the fish so that we could eat it whilst it was hot and crispy.

Slaw:
Grate the white cabbage on the coarse side of a grater or in a food processor. (I'd food process but I've lost the spindle for mine! Must order a new one!)
Finely chop the red onion and mix 3/4 in with the grated cabbage.
Juice 1/2 the line into the bowl, and scrape the little limey citrus bits (that stick out of the lime when you squeeze it) off with a sharp knife and stir through the mix with salt and pepper to taste.
Take a big handful of coriander, chop and stir through the mixture.
That's the slaw done- zingy, crunchy and fat free!!



Lazy Guacamole:
Dice the avocado (I score mine in the skin then scoop the whole lot out with a big spoon!) Mash lightly with a fork, then stir in the other 1/4 red onion, 1 tsp chopped coriander and a sprinkle of cayenne to taste. It's not really guacamole but it's tasty!

Crema:
Mix the garlic mayo, the other 1/2 of the lime's juce and the sour cream together in a bowl. Stir well and add chopped coriander to taste (there is quite a lot of coriander going on in this so bear that in mind! I had about 1tsp coriander in the crema.)

Fish:
Cut the fish into 1.5 inch cubes. Try to keep the bits similarly sized, so that they cook in an equal amount of time. Put your flour on one saucer, your beaten egg on another and your crumbs on another. Roll your fish in flour, then egg, then crumbs and lie on a plate ready to fry. Repeat until all the fish is prepped. (I find it easiest to do 4 bits at a time, using my fingers for the flour and egg, and a fork to cover with crumbs and move onto the plate.) Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan, then fry the fish in batches until golden brown and crispy. I'd imagine you could bake the fish in the oven if you were feeling super health conscious! Cooking the fish really doesn't take long, a minute or so on each side tops. You don't want to over cook it!
Remove from the pan onto a piece of kitchen towel, then serve!



I chopped the tortillas into 4 so that they better resembled the little soft tacos I enjoyed so much at Wahaca. Microwave them for 30 seconds so they're soft and pliable.

To serve, I just put all the different components on the table and let us tuck in!

Beginning to end, this recipe takes about 20 minutes to cook- it's healthy, fresh and tasty- why not give it a try?!



No comments:

Post a Comment