Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2015

Working it Out Wednesday

So here goes with an idea which has been bouncing around my brain for a while!
We live in a connected world, rife with social media which I firmly believe can be used for good or ill.
A year ago, I was spending a fair amount of time online, whilst poorly and very stressed. Facebook was showing me that, while I was on the sofa, some of my friends were out and about, active, and making some far healthier choices than I was!
I had no idea where to start on my journey into fitness, let alone how to fit it into my life, or if women 'like me' even were out there exercising amongst the hundreds of fit-freaks I imagined to be powering up and down the promenade.
So- working it out Wednesday is my contribution!
Each Wednesday, I'm going to interview a different lady who has inspired me on my journey into fitness. Some are hard-core, running ultra marathons or pursuing qualifications within fitness. Some are like me- committed plodders who love how exercise makes them feel! There are single ladies, married ladies, ladies with kids and ladies without. Some have faith, some don't, some I've never asked so wouldn't know! All of them are amazing, and were key inspiration to me in starting and continuing exercising regularly.
I've asked the questions that were on my mind when I was starting out on this path- if there are any other questions you can think of- stick them in the comments and I'm sure they'll be willing to start a conversation!
So, without further ado- grab a coffee, settle down on the sofa and let me introduce Amy!

Amy is a lady who I've known, by association since I started dating Jon. She's also married to a Marine- who's still serving in the RM Band Service. We've not seen each other much in real life, but her couch to 5k journey was one of the biggest motivating factors in getting my bottom off the sofa and out of the door. Last year, she posted this picture:
I'd just finished C25k, and it made me realise that maybe, just maybe, I could manage a triathlon one day! 
Enough from me- let's hear from Amy and how she makes it all work for her:

Tell us a bit about yourself:
My name is Amy Rushton, I am 31, married to Jon who is in the Royal Marines Band and mum to Evan 7 and Lucas 3. We live in Emsworth in Hampshire. A long time ago I was also in the Royal Marines Band and enjoyed sport but a series of health issues put an end to that!

What sports do you like to do in your free time, and how did you get into it in the first place?
When I decided I wanted to get fitter I was 4 stone heavier than I am now. I'd had 4 knee operations and my joints weren't coping with all that weight, so I started walking. Initially it was to the shops, round the block etc but soon I was upping the distances. I started walking 5 miles most nights and frequently spent whole Saturdays on 20 mile+ walks. This alone helped me lose 2 stone. Once I had lost a bit of weight I decided to try running, which I hadn't done properly since leaving the Marines 14 years before! I found it VERY hard! But I stuck at it and coupled with some cycling I soon saw improvement. Now I frequently run 5km, enjoy parkrun, and cycle distances of around 40km.

What drew you to the sport?
I was drawn to running after seeing a good friend of mine go from a non runner to completing the Thames Path Challenge (100km in 24 hours). She achieved so many amazing things and as I watched her progress I was inspired to try myself. (See- we're all secret fitness fan girls really! -Sarah)

Was it easy getting started? Did you start alone or have company?
When I first started I was incredibly self conscious so I ran alone and at night so no one would see me. I found it so very difficult but I discovered perseverance I never knew I had. Once I started seeing improvements I was hooked. I prefer to run alone, a combination of still being self conscious of my running ability and enjoying the time alone.

What's your biggest achievement in your fitness to date?
To date my biggest fitness achievement is competing the Great South Run in Oct 2014. I'm especially proud of that since I fractured my foot in 3 places half way and still managed to finish! (Madness! -S)

Are you working toward a goal at the moment? If so, what?
At the moment I am training for an event I am doing with my online running club Thunder Runners. We are all competing at the Adidas Thunder Run at the end of July, which is a 24 hour endurance race where a team of 8 take turns to run 10km laps. I think I'm down for 3 laps! This is easily my biggest challenge to date, especially as I'm battling persistent niggles in my lower legs. I am really looking forward to it though!

Let's be real- working out takes time! How do you fit it in? What's your weekly schedule like?
Training does take time, something as a military wife and mum to 2 sons with autism, I don't get a lot of! I tend to run at night once the boys are in bed or squeeze a run in as the kids eat tea. I try to keep weekends for family time where I can so I run early in the morning or go to parkrun. When my husband was in Edinburgh for 6 weeks with the Royal Marines I took to putting the boys to bed and then running up and down my 80m street until I had reached 5km! I had a baby monitor with me so I could hear them and always could see my front door so I was happy that they were safe, and I did that almost every night. My neighbours thought I was crazy.

If you could say one thing to someone sat on the sofa, considering starting a fitness programme, what would it be?
Be sensible, Start slowly, Dream big! I overdid it off the bat and hurt myself as I didn't know that I'm a severe overpronator. Consider getting a gait analysis and start with a Couch to 5KM app to get you started. Trust me, if I can do this, you can do this!

Amy before she started

Race for Life Pretty Muddy, June 2014

After the Mo-Run November 2014 (complete with broken leg!)
See- one inspiring lady right?! I couldn't agree more with so much of what Amy says- if we can do it- so can you! Her commitment to getting out and exercising is amazing- you should see her map my runs for the 5ks outside her house- it's like a very cross toddler went mad with a crayon in a very small area! Thank you Amy so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

I'm blessed with a very inspirational friendship group, so stay tuned for another working it out Wednesday with another fab friend next week.
Any questions- bring them to the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment